HMN-6 firefighters were hospitalized after a chemical fire at a Huntsville metal plating business. Air monitoring was performed and officials do not believe fumes affected anyone in the area.(Waaytv)
A total of 8 people were taken to the hospital because of a chemical fire at a metal plating business in Huntsville.
It happened on Orchard Street.
Huntsville Fire Department crews worked for several hours to make sure the fumes from the fire were not a danger to the area.
Six firefighters and two workers were taken to the hospital and we know some of the firefighters have been released as of Tuesday night.
Right now there is no threat to people’s health in the area.
The fire department was being extremely cautious, because the business uses a slew of different chemicals.
The department told WAAY 31 a soap type mixture, that has several different chemicals in it, caught fire.
A hazardous materials team came in to tackle the aftermath of the fire.
The team said it’s not uncommon for a combination of chemicals like this to catch fire.
“Anything exposed to fire can burn, or even if it doesn’t burn, once heated, it will off gas. So, either way the off gas, or what would have been in the smoke would have been what we would have been concerned with,” said Wesley Ogle of the Huntsville Fire Department.
Fire crews were monitoring the air in the surrounding area for dangerous fumes.
They said they don’t believe any harmful fumes got close to people in the area.
The firefighters and workers taken to the hospital was just a precaution, because they didn’t know if the fumes contained other dangerous chemicals found in the building.
Investigators will begin working Wednesday morning to figure out the exact cause of the fire.