According to 7News Miami:
SOUTHWEST MIAMI-DADE, FLA. (WSVN) – Seven people were transported to the hospital, Thursday morning, after being overcome by toxic fumes in Southwest Miami-Dade.
Miami-Dade Police and Fire Rescue were called to a home located on the 2200 block of Southwest 103rd Court, at around 4:55 a.m., after a family of three came into contact with fumes from an unknown chemical.
Upon their arrival, first responders also started to become ill. “They were just overcome with a little bit of shortness of breath and weakness,” said Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Felipe Lay.
According to officials, three firefighters, an officer, two adults and a teenager were transported to Jackson South Community Hospital.
Two dogs were also pulled out from the home and checked out on scene.
All victims are expected to be OK.
Crews have not yet determined the source of the fumes. “We had our Hazmat team on site that were using their meters to assess different chemicals that are commonly in the area of a Hazmat scene,” said Lay, “and with those meters we deduce what the potential cause or what the source is of the chemical, the vapors or whatever material it is.”
However, the grandmother of the family involved said she believes the issue began when her son-in-law left a Jaguar vehicle running overnight.
“Car in the garage had a dead battery, so he charged the car, and he let it run — you know sometimes how you let the car run for a few minutes — got distracted with cooking and forgot,” she said.
One neighbor who was confused as to what was going on said she was even fearful that she was in danger.
“I was watching through the widow, and I saw only police and the yellow tape,” said neighbor Judit Duarte.
Upon finding out that her neighbors were sickened, Duarte said she hoped they would make a quick recovery.
“Very nice people, they say hi all the time,” she said.
The first responders and the father and son were released from the hospital. The only person doctors are keeping a close eye on is the mother, who the family expects to be home Thursday evening.