Author Archives: ryan

HAZMAT called after 3 year old found dead in bucket of acid

acid hazmat

HMN-After the tragic discovery, the couples other four children were turned over to Child Protective Services. (East Texas Matters) LAREDO, Texas (NBC News) – Two Laredo parents are facing multiple charges after their 3-year-old daughter’s body was found in a bucket apparently containing acid. Laredo police arrested37-year-old Monica Dominguez and 32-year-old Gerardo Zavala Loredo for allegedly covering up the death of ...

Read More »

2 injured in giant meth lab explosion (Video)

meth lab

HMN-Video shows a large meth lab explosion in Memphis.   (News 965) Two people were injured when a home in the Nutbush area exploded after catching fire Wednesday evening. “I was just four streets over doing my yard and I heard a loud boom and the next thing I know I hear fire trucks coming,” said Donnie Bishop. Firefighters were ...

Read More »

1 injured with chemical burns; building evacuated

(NBC Boston) One person was taken to a hospital after suffering from chemical burns at a biomed processing facility in Milford, Massachusetts. The incident prompted a Tier 2 hazmat response, which resulted in the Fortune Boulevard building’s evacuation late Friday morning, according to the state’s Fire Marshal’s Office. It is unclear how many have been affected by the building evacuation. ...

Read More »

Purple water in San Diego?

HMN-Purple water near San Diego had responders out in full force this weekend. San Diego Union Tribune A resident’s report about a creek in Westwood flowing with bright purple water on Sunday afternoon led to a response by several city departments in order to investigate and clean it up. City of San Diego spokesman Anthony Santacroce said the water was ...

Read More »

New York oil well fire

  (Bradford Era)   An oil well fire that lit the sky and surrounding hillsides in the town of Allegany, N.Y.,  early Tuesday morning was fought by several fire departments and resulted in an oil spill of 150 gallons, reported fire department officials from the Cattaraugus County Office of Emergency Services. A press release from the office of Chris Baker, ...

Read More »

Ottawa County responds to chemical ingestion with intent to self harm

Chemical harm

(WZZM) ALLENDALE, Michigan — ALLENDALE, Mich. – Authorities in Allendale are investigating a haz-mat situation in Allendale. According to the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office, shortly before 3 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 11 emergency responders were called to a residence in the Boulder Ridge development in Allendale Township, on reports that there was hazardous materials inside. It was learned that a ...

Read More »

Confined space welding tragedy; How can we do better?

confined space

(The Conversation) HMN-Are we as safety professionals becoming too relaxed during situations like this confined space welding instance? Dillon Wu died alone inside a metal tank. It is believed he was asphyxiated by argon gas, used in arc-welding steel. He is the youngest employee to die in a recent run of deaths in confined spaces. Aged just 20, he was ...

Read More »

Judge orders CSB to disclose chemical emissions from accidents

chemical accident

(The Washington Post) In a lawsuit filed after Hurricane Harvey, a federal judge has ordered the Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board to force the disclosure of chemical emissions resulting from accidents. More than 1,000 industrial chemical accidents take place every year. The biggest include the explosions that killed 15 people at a fertilizer plant in West, Tex., and the ...

Read More »

Nitric acid spill causes evacuation of 25 workers

Skull

  HMN-One of the employees was sent to the hospital with unknown injuries before firefighters arrived. (SF Gate) SANTA ROSA (BCN) A nitric acid spill early Wednesday afternoon caused the evacuation of 25 employees from two businesses in southwest Santa Rosa, the Santa Rosa Fire Department said. One of the employees went to a hospital with unknown injuries before firefighters ...

Read More »

One injured after incompatible chemical mixture at The Current

chemical

  HMN-The chemical mixture was found to be incompatible, however the names of the chemicals have not been released. (KWQC) Davenport Fire Marshal Jim Morris says around 10:15 a.m., an employee inadvertently mixed two chemicals together, those two chemicals were not compatible and caused a smell that was contained to that room. The building was evacuated. Hazmat crews were on ...

Read More »