Author Archives: ryan

Police ID substance in Manistee chemical suicide

chemical suicide

  (Pioneer Group) MANISTEE — Police identified the hazardous chemical found during a death investigation at First Street Beach over the weekend. Authorities were called to First Street Beach around 9 a.m on Sunday, when a couple found a man lying unresponsive on a cot, near the water’s edge. Tim Kozal, Manistee director of public safety, said sodium azide was ...

Read More »

OSHA cites Alabama business for allowing workers in explosive confined spaces

(OSHA.gov) CHUNCHULA, AL – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has cited American Remediation and Environmental Inc. for confined space, fire, and explosion hazards. The Chunchula, Alabama, tank cleaning company faces $171,281 in penalties. OSHA inspectors determined that the company allowed employees to enter a tank without testing for atmospheric hazards. The company was cited ...

Read More »

Phoenix HAZMAT responds to Target store

target

  (Fox 10) PHOENIX (KSAZ) — Phoenix Fire officials say its HAZMAT crews responded to an incident at a Target store in Ahwatukee Tuesday afternoon. According to a statement, crews responded just before 1:00 p.m. to reports of an odor at the store, located on the northwest corner of 48th Street and Ray Road. Firefighters eventually evacuated the store, and gathered further ...

Read More »

Propane equipment fire behind Bern Township business

propane

HMN-The Reading Eagle reports that the equipment mixes liquid propane and vapors. BERN TOWNSHIP, PA —   Numerous fire companies responded to a Bern Township manufacturing plant late Sunday after an exterior piece of equipment that mixes propane caught on fire. The tank was emitting gas that was aflame when crews arrived shortly after 11:30 p.m. at Eagle Metals, 1243 ...

Read More »

Home invasion leads to HAZMAT investigation.

investigation

HMN-After the incident, the resident was transported to a local hospital for mental health evaluation. (Turnto10) Police in Westerly responded to a home invasion call, but they didn’t find an intruder, they found suspicious devices. Westerly police Capt. Shawn Lacey told NBC 10 News that that officers found no intruder at the Ashaway Road home, but did find suspicious wiring ...

Read More »

Carbon Dioxide kills man at SunTrust Park

HMN-AJC.com reports that the fire department conducted testing that showed the Carbon Dioxide levels doubled quickly while the man was inside the cooler.   A Cobb County autopsy report released Thursday claims that the man who died inside a walk-in cooler at SunTrust Park in June was accidentally killed by carbon dioxide. Todd Keeling, 48, collapsed and died because carbon ...

Read More »

Atlanta firefighters called to fire at MARTA battery maintenance facility

battery

(AJC) A fire at a MARTA battery maintenance facility in northeast Atlanta was extinguished, but it prompted a response by the fire department hazmat team, officials said. MARTA service was not affected, and DeKalb Avenue, which is near the incident, was reopened to traffic after a few hours. “This room supplies battery power to trains if electrical power goes out,” ...

Read More »

Hazmat called after worker falls at post office

hazmat

(ABC 7) A report of hazardous materials has been secured after a worker was injured in a fall Friday afternoon at the Old Chicago Main Post Office in the Loop. The Chicago Fire Department got the HazMat call about 1 p.m. for the building, located at 433 W. Van Buren, according to department spokesman Larry Merritt. A worker fell about ...

Read More »

Possible bomb found at home of Bill and Hillary Clinton

Bomb

  (Fox) NEW YORK (FOX5NY) – A ‘bomb’ was found at the home of Hillary and Bill Clinton in a New York City suburb. The Times reported that it was found by a technician who screen mail for the former first couple.  They live in the hamlet of Chappaqua in northern Westchester County. It comes a day after an explosive device ...

Read More »

3 hospitalized after Connecticut hazmat scene

Skull

(Houston Chronicle) CANTON, Conn. (AP) — Three workers at a Connecticut transfer station were taken to the hospital after being exposed to potentially hazardous fumes. Fire officials say there was some sort of chemical reaction in a trash container at the Canton town transfer station at about 8 a.m. Tuesday and the workers inhaled the fumes. Deputy Fire Chief Ryan ...

Read More »