HMN-HAZMAT units responded to a US forest service station in Porterville after a citizen brought in a banned pesticide known as Carbofuran. The Visalia Times-Delta reports that the material was banned in the US in 2009.
Hazmat crews responded to the U.S. Forest Service Station in Porterville on Tuesday.
Crews were called just after 5:30 p.m. Tuesday after a citizen brought in Carbofuran to the station located off Highway 190.
Carbofuran is a pesticide which has been banned in the U.S. since 2009. The chemical is highly toxic if ingested, according to the World Health Organization.
Visalia Hazmat is working with California Highway Patrol to clear the area of the pesticide.