Boy burned after light up sneakers leaked acid onto his feet

Acid leak

HMN-A nine year old boy sustained second degree chemical burns to his feet, after his light up sneakers leaked acid.  (Metro.Co.Uk)

A nine year-old boy suffered second-degree chemical burns after his light-up sneakers leaked acid over his feet.

The battery on Peyton Foster’s Skechers S-Light shoes malfunctioned after they got wet during a water activities day at his school on June 24 and began spewing the corrosive.

He complained of minor pain that evening – but it was only at the end of the day that Peyton’s mother Sherry Foster realized that something was badly wrong.

Foster, who lives in Hinsdale, New York, told Metro US: ‘When the sneakers got wet that caused them to release a chemical that burnt the bottom of his feet.

‘He did not complain to his teacher. He waited until the next day until he came home to tell us.

‘The day it happened, he came home and said “My feet hurt.”

‘They were a little bit red, I didn’t think anything of it – maybe that they were cold from playing in the water.

‘The next day he came home and was really complaining

‘That’s when we decided, okay, what do we do, so we took him to the doctor.

‘She’d seen it one other time, that’s what gave it away. He had second degree chemical burns.’

Foster said hearing what had happened to Peyton made her feel ‘horrible’ – and revealed that the pain left him unable to walk.

He was prescribed an antibiotic cream to help tend his blisters, and will move on to a steroid in the coming days.

Peyton should make a full recovery in about three weeks, but his mother says the experience has left him with a phobia of wearing shoes.

Foster explained: ‘He was in quite a bit of pain. He wasn’t able to walk, or run, or go swimming, or anything that would cause his feet further irritation.

‘We had to carry him. There wasn’t much that he could do.

‘I felt horrible, absolutely horrible.

‘He’s worried and stuff. He’s nine, so he understands a little bit better.

‘If it had happened to another child, or someone younger, it could be even more stressful for them.It’s left him with a phobia of wearing shoes.’

Foster bought the Skechers from a local store for $60 in April, and says she has been loyal to the brand for years because it is American.

After Peyton was injured, she got in touch with Skechers, who have offered him any free replacement pair. But Foster says she is still considering legal action.

She said: ‘He is very cautious and hesitant about (a new pair of sneakers).

‘He burn his feet, but he doesn’t want another pair.

‘There was no warning on them, like don’t get wet, or battery inside shoe or anything like that.

‘How are you supposed to know? What if it rains the next day?

Metro US has contacted Skechers for a comment.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

%d bloggers like this: