Chemical awareness

Gas kills two workers, while working in a confined space

HMN- According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Release of toxic gas at FirstEnergy’s Bruce Mansfield Power Plant claimed the lives of two workers and injured four others who were repairing a pipe in a confined, underground area at the Beaver County facility, officials said. The accident happened at about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to FirstEnergy spokeswoman Stephanie Walton. State police at Beaver have ...

Read More »

Chemical weapons destruction testing resumes in Pueblo after November spill discovery

HMN- Officials say they safely resumed their work by destroying 155mm projectiles and chemical weapons, can you imagine this facility is in your first due area? News according to Denver Post .   Testing operations resumed Monday at the Pueblo Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant, which has been shut down since problems at the high-cost, hazardous materials site, including a 450-gallon spill and ...

Read More »

Chemical spill in science lab prompts decontamination

HMN – Chemical spill of bromine creates safety concerns at school lab. Original story from stuff.co Firefighters came from all over Auckland to decontaminate a school’s science lab after a pot of bromine overheated and popped open in the storeroom. Staff at Westlake Boys High School called Takapuna Fire Station on December 6 just after 2pm and the firefighters went to investigate. ...

Read More »

Person flown to hospital after propane tank explosion in Pulaski County

HMN-According to WDBJ 7 PULASKI CO., Va. (WDBJ7) One man was airlifted to the hospital after another explosion at Claytor Lake Monday afternoon. It happened as a man re-filled a home’s natural gas tank. The homeowners were put in a hotel Monday night, but thankfully no one else was hurt. The worker has burns on the upper parts of his body ...

Read More »

Hazmat ‘Chemical Contamination Incident’ Reported at Waterbury, CT Hospital

HMN- Waterbury, Connecticut. One person is dead after a hazmat incident that occurred Friday. Emergency personnel and Hazmat crews were called to Waterbury Hospital Friday following a report of “chemical contamination incident,” reports Fox61 News. A patient who suffered cardiac arrest was brought into the ER from American Electroplating in Waterbury, and he had a bag marked sodium cyanide in his ...

Read More »

Freon leak at funeral home sends two to the hospital

  HMN-A freon leak in a Fort Worth, Texas area funeral home sends two to the hospital.  The leak is believed to have started in one of the funeral homes large refrigeration units.  The Fort Worth HAZMAT team responded and confirmed high levels of the chemical leaking.  The Star-Telegram has the latest. FORT WORTH The fire department responded to a ...

Read More »

Orlando Hazmat & Pool Chemical Spill

You HMN- While The Orlando hazmat team neutralized chemicals, the extrication team wore bunker gear and SCBA. The pool chemicals were brought to neutral and then washed away. Details and story provided by the Orlando Sentinel    Hazmat crews shut down a portion of Conroy Road at the Interstate 4 ramp this morning after pool chemicals spilled onto the street ...

Read More »

Municipal H2S incident leaves two brothers dead

  HMN-Earlier this week we discussed industrial H2S response, however this threat is present in the municipal world as well.  One common source of H2S, is sewer systems.  Independent.ie brings us details from June 2015, where two brothers were killed after an H2S exposure in a confined space. TWO brothers overcome by fumes while working in an underground sewer died of ...

Read More »

Industrial fire familiarization: Hydrogen Sulfide

Industrial fire familiarization: Hydrogen Sulfide       HMN-Hydrogen sulfide, or H2S, is a common threat in our industrial environment. Most are taught about the rotten egg smell, and ability to dull the olfactory sense in large doses, but do we really understand it’s presence in our processes? What exactly is it? H2S is a colorless, flammable, extremely hazardous gas ...

Read More »

Propane Destroys Fuggettoboutit: Tuckerton food truck explodes

HMN- A propane leak is to blame for yet another explosive situation leaving a business destroyed. With an expansion ratio of 270/1 it wouldn’t take much to make a bad situation worse. The gas air mixtures are explosive and will always seek an ignition source. Liquid propane is extremely efficient as a cooking and heating fuel as well as having ...

Read More »