Chemical awareness

Pool acid leaking through package leads to evacuation at post office

HMN- Bozeman, Montana Hazmat crew confirmed, that the chemicals and liquids leaking, were pool chemicals. The package from Big Sky was delivered to the post office around 4:30 pm on August 19th. The driver noticed that while in transit liquid had been leaking from a package, and was actually eating away at the the delivery truck. Workers in the loading dock of the post office ...

Read More »

At least two injured after vapour accidentally released at Melbourne school science fair

HMN- According to 9 News Melbourne three people were taken to the hospital. A child and parent are in a stable condition after a HAZMAT incident during a school science fair in Aspendale. Students at Aspendale Gardens Primary School were conducting a science experiment this morning when a unplanned reaction occurred, the Country Fire Authority (CFA) said. “As part of ...

Read More »

Insecticide sickens residents in Bensenville apartments

HMN-Proper use and chemical awareness are always factors in the safe application of household products. Six people became sick and had to be evacuated from their Bensenville, Illinois  apartment building Monday after an insecticide fogger was used inside the building. Four firefighters who responded to the scene also fell ill. Bensenville Fire Protection District Chief Michael Spain said emergency crews were ...

Read More »

HAZMAT crews called to Chesterfield County neighborhood after search warrant issued

HMN- Any place, in any town, at any time this could be your call. If you want to practice or hear what the experts do. Don’t miss out on Firehouse Expo Nashville and the HOT classes! Training Training Training!!! CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Chesterfield County PoIice and HAZMAT are investigating a possible meth lab in a neighborhood off of ...

Read More »

“Home recipe” pesticide mix sends Hamilton woman to hospital

HMN- You never know what the next call will bring. This home brew was definitely a bad day. A woman was taken to hospital Tuesday afternoon after inhaling toxic fumes from mixing three household cleaning products as a form of pest control in her home. Hamilton firefighters responded to a medical call on Oriole Crescent in the east end and ...

Read More »

22 students injured after chemical spill in school

HMN- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia was the scene of more than 22 students being injured with careless handling of chemical compounds in a school setting. KUALA LUMPUR: Twenty-two students of Sekolah Menengah Islam IQ in Kuala Lumpur suffered skin allergies when one of its chemical jars broke and leaked in the school laboratory today. In the 4pm incident, a jar containing Sulphuric ...

Read More »

Chemistry Lab Found Hazmat Team Called In

hazmat news

HMN-  Is it the science or is it more simple than that; maybe we just drive big trucks and that makes this job so interesting ?  But, every day in hazmat it’s something different! Today the excitement comes from West Hartford, Connecticut.   (AP) – Authorities say hazmat crews were called to a Connecticut home to remove potentially hazardous materials ...

Read More »

Hazardous Materials Incident at Fargo Water Treatment Plant

HMN- Ya, they say its in Fargo. I just bet if you’ve seen the movie “Fargo” you’re reading this in that accent, Ya’ fore sure. So just for a little summer treat at the end of this article is a Fargo movie reminder. Read the full story here. FARGO — Emergency crews, including the Fargo Fire Department and F-M Ambulance, responded ...

Read More »

Hazmat called for body in car

HMN- If you don’t think chemical suicide is possible in your jurisdiction, think again. It has started to become more popular in the United States as more incidents like the story below become public. The full story is here NewYork-A body found in a vehicle off Fairport Road in East Rochester and the potential of chemicals at the scene prompted ...

Read More »

100 gallons of sulphric acid spilled inside plant

HMN- Firefighters had to enter the structure where the hazardous material has been spilled which always compounds the complexity of the incident.  Make sure that you check out the video about PPE selection after the story and tune in to The Haz Mat Guys Podcast  for training topics like this and more . Photos via Twitter  The Charlotte Fire Department ...

Read More »