News

HCL spill at Purdue Fort Wayne

Purdue

  (WANE) FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – A hazardous material spill happened on the campus of Purdue Fort Wayne late morning Friday. Around 11:45 a.m., Purdue Fort Wayne reported a spill of a hazardous material around the Science Building on campus. The Fort Wayne Fire Department told WANE 15 a small delivery of hydrochloric acid broke open and spilled in the ...

Read More »

Sacramento Fire responds to HAZMAT at high school

(ABC) Emergency personnel are at St. Francis Catholic High School in Sacramento responding to a hazmat situation Thursday. Around 10 a.m., authorities received a call regarding an odor at St. Francis High School. After arriving, firefighters declared the situation a major casualty incident due to the number of potential patients. A total of five ambulances are at the scene. 10 ...

Read More »

Shoot, Move, Communicate, Survive. HAZMAT Leadership; Part III

fowler hazmat

Shoot, Move, Communicate, Survive; Part III (Catch up on Part I Here, and Part II Here) In the series, Shoot, Move, Communicate, Survive, we have gone over shooting and moving as it pertains to HazMat operations. You can view the previous installments here . Continuing with our series is communication. Regardless of setting, communications will always be our greatest challenge. ...

Read More »

Explosion at Panda Express

KAILUA-KONA — A Panda Express employee was taken to the hospital for burn injuries after a suspected gas explosion around lunchtime Monday at Kona Commons. Several businesses in the Kona Commons area were evacuated because of the explosion. Employees and business patrons were waiting in the parking lot as they watched personnel from the Hawaii Fire and Hawaii Police departments ...

Read More »

HAZMAT team shuts down polling place

polling

(Boston Herald) A suspicious white powder found amid a stack of absentee ballots temporarily closed a Boston polling place yesterday, officials say. As thousands of voters flocked to 735 Shawmut Ave. to cast their ballots, Stephanie Thomas, a clerk, saw the white substance amid the ballots. “As we were going through absentee ballots, I observed a lot of white substances,” ...

Read More »

Cleveland Fire responds to fuel spill at airport.

fuel spill

(News 5) CLEVELAND – The Cleveland Fire Department and HAZMAT crews responded to a fuel spill at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, fire officials confirmed Tuesday morning. Fire officials originally said 10,000 gallons of fuel spilled behind the maintenance facility that is behind United Airlines. As of 7 a.m., fire officials said the spill is now estimated at 5,500 gallons. Michele Dynia, a spokesperson ...

Read More »

Torrance refinery flares after valve malfunction at facility

refinery

(Daily Breeze) A large column of fire that shot up into the sky in Torrance on Saturday evening was caused by the malfunctioning of a valve at the Torrance Refinery, a refinery spokeswoman said on Sunday, Nov 4. A Torrance Fire Department official initially told a reporter the incident was caused by a power outage leading to a cracked pipe ...

Read More »

Downtown Montgomery building evacuated due to unknown substance

unknown substance

(Montgomery Advertiser) A Montgomery Fire/Rescue hazmat team was called to the Montgomery County Corrections office Monday morning after someone left a bag of a powdered substance in the building. Emergency personnel responded to Adams Avenue Monday morning on a call of a “suspicious white [powdery] substance,” according to a statement provide by MFR Lt. Jason Cupps. Montgomery police advised MFR ...

Read More »

Amazon Corporation Building Collapse kills 2, HAZ-MAT responds.

BALTIMORE (AP) — Two people were killed when part of an Amazon distribution warehouse collapsed amid severe weather, a spokeswoman for the retail giant said Saturday. The men worked for an outside company and not Amazon, spokeswoman Rachael Lighty said. No one else was injured when severe storms with strong winds tore through Maryland Friday evening, she said. News reports ...

Read More »

Police ID substance in Manistee chemical suicide

chemical suicide

  (Pioneer Group) MANISTEE — Police identified the hazardous chemical found during a death investigation at First Street Beach over the weekend. Authorities were called to First Street Beach around 9 a.m on Sunday, when a couple found a man lying unresponsive on a cot, near the water’s edge. Tim Kozal, Manistee director of public safety, said sodium azide was ...

Read More »