Uncategorized

Refinery fire extinguished in Edmonton

HMN-The Imperial oil refinery reported a fire this morning around 5:30 AM according to CBC News. “Officials with Imperial Oil said the”small fire” began at the asphalt loading area on the eastern side of the Strathcona Refinery property early Thursday morning. The fire was quickly extinguished and the all-clear given to resume operations was given at 7 a.m.” The 187,000 ...

Read More »

ATF: Propane leak caused Pine Ridge explosion

PINE RIDGE, S.D. (KOTA TV) – The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has determined that the duplex explosion in Pine Ride was an accident, caused by a leaking propane line. Four people were killed Thursday afternoon when the duplex exploded. The victims’ names have not been released. A man and woman shared one side of the duplex and ...

Read More »

West Virginia community holds HazMat day and collects blasting caps and tear gas among others

HMN-So many local jurisdictions hold “tox-away day” or some other PC name for hazardous waste collection events. Are you involved in those collections, should you be? Seems that it would be a great opportunity to get out and present a public relations message or just awareness of your services. It’s amazing to see first hand what is stored in the residence ...

Read More »

Generator vapors lead haz-mat team to Dania Beach home

HMN-In the wake of hurricane Matthew almost a million people are struggling to deal without power. Despite a massive public education campaign by emergency management, police, and fire officials people still are running generators inside their homes. This story comes to the Nation from the Miami Herald  A family living in a Dania Beach duplex reported smelling fumes to the ...

Read More »

Mother and daughter who are firefighters injured in house explosion

  It happened on Second Fork in Wooton around 3 p.m. Sunday. Leona Kilburn and Tonda Bradley were inside Kilburn’s home when it exploded after they tried to light the fireplace. Officials think a control valve in the heater was stuck causing gas to build up. The home was destroyed. Both Kilburn and Bradley have served with the Wooton Volunteer ...

Read More »

Semi Rolls & Spills Ammonium Nitrate

  MIDVALE, Utah, Oct. 5, 2016 (Gephardt Daily) ” Police shut down the northbound and southbound Interstate 15 freeway at 6100 South on Wednesday morning after a semi-truck rolled and spilled ammonium nitrate. Marissa Villaseor, spokeswoman for Utah Highway Patrol, said the multi-vehicle crash at approximately 9:15 a.m. involved a truck trailer, two vehicles, and a semi hauling ammonium nitrate, ...

Read More »

Faulty gasket blamed for leak at Wacker in Bradley County

HMN-A morning chemical spill on Monday at the Wacker Polysilicon plant in Charleston was handled internally by their response teams. A faulty gasket was responsible for a reported chemical spill Monday morning. A spokesperson for Wacker Chemical Corporation said the issue was noticed around 7:20 a.m. in a distillation column/tower at the Wacker Polysilicon plant in Charleston. William Toth, Director ...

Read More »

More suspicious letters found in Atlantic City amid Trenton anthrax scare

HMN- White powder calls continue across the nation. This story comes to us from The Trentonian TRENTON- On the heels of an anthrax scare that shut down the Mercer County criminal courthouse, two more letters containing suspicious substances were discovered this week at an Atlantic City casino and post office, authorities said Thursday. The FBI and the State Police’s Joint ...

Read More »

FBI investigated ‘hazardous materials’ in Athens

HMN- FBI called in to investigate reported hazardous substances. The Dallas field office released a statement that indicated there may have been some type of hazard but it has since been resolved. The following story is available from CBS19TV A situation is developing in the Bel-Air subdivision in Athens. multiple authorities are in the area, including the FBI. The Athens ...

Read More »

Tank Battery Fire Causes Explosion In NE OKC

HMN-The investigation continues into this explosion. People in Northeast Oklahoma City might have been startled awake after a tank battery fire caused an explosion. The incident occurred around 2:30 a.m., in the area of NE 4th and MLK. Fire crews say this fire could be weather related. The fire damaged four other salt water tanks. Stay with News9.com for more ...

Read More »