Chlorine leak in Cromwell, CT



A chlorine leak caused a hazmat incident at the Red Lion Hotel in Cromwell on Tuesday.

The area surrounding the hotel on Berlin Road was blocked and more than 100 people were evacuated as first responders dealt with the hazmat situation. Fire officials later said a chlorine leak near the pool prompted the incident.

The initial call came in as a maintenance worker not feeling well. When first responders arrived, two others were found to have similar symptoms including difficulty breathing and dizziness.

The maintenance worker was taken to the hospital for treatment and two others were treated at the scene.

Officials said it doesn’t appear anyone came in contact with chemicals, just the fumes. No action was required by the hazmat team to ventilate or clean anything up.

“When you have hazmat incidents like this, we have to err on the side of caution as always recommended. Hazmat incidents can be come as large or small as you feel them to be. This was everything you saw here today was precautionary,” said Chief Michael Terenzio of Cromwell Fire Department.

There was initial concern that chemicals may have come into contact with each other, but officials said that ended up not being the case.

HazSim Pro training system has been used to train across the U.S since 2011. Trainers in HazMat and Confined Space realized that ‘tapping the student on the shoulder’ was NOT effective training. This system uses NO hazardous materials and although may not look exactly like your front line meter, shows the important data which the all students needs to learn to ‘react’ to. Click HERE for video of setting up the system. Click this link for customers in action using the HazSim to better train responders. Click HERE for a quote.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


%d bloggers like this: