Chlorine plant fire produces dangerous fumes, closes Pulaski Skyway

 

 

 

News12

 

A fire at a Chlorine plant in Hudson County is producing dangerous fumes and forced the closure of the Pulaski Skyway.

The fire started around 10 p.m. Friday at the Alden Leeds Corporation plant on Jacobus Avenue. Thick smoke could be seen for miles. Due to the chemicals burning in the fire, officials in northern New Jersey and in New York City warned residents to keep their doors and windows closed to prevent breathing in the fumes.

There were some unconfirmed reports of some people in the area being treated for exposure to the fumes.

All lanes on the Pulaski Skyway were closed as of 11:30 p.m. in both directions between South Kearny and Broadway. Pictures posted on social media showed a heavy traffic buildup in the area.

It was unclear how the fire started or if anyone was hurt.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

%d bloggers like this: