Colorado HAZMAT clean up spill after chemical fire inside refrigerator

Chemical fire

HMN-Units in Colorado tended to a chemical spill after a chemical fire inside a refrigerator.  (Coloradoan)

Poudre Fire crews cleaned up a chemical leak on Saturday afternoon that led to a fire that blew the door off a refrigeration unit.

Firefighters responded to the fire at about 12:15 p.m. when an employee of Wasson-ECE Instrumentation, 101 Rome Court, saw some smoke in the building. The company creates custom analytical tools.

The employee located the fire inside a refrigerator and used a chemical extinguisher to put it out, according to Battalion Chief Jim Pietrangelo. Only one employee was working in the building at the time of the fire.

Poudre Fire hazardous materials crews determined the cause of the fire was a spill of the chemical dichloromethylsilane.

That particular chemical, Pietrangelo said, was stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It can cause a fire when it comes into contact with the air.

The Larimer County Sheriff’s Office responded to investigate at the request of Poudre Fire and did not suspect any foul play, he said.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


%d bloggers like this: