Deadly Ebola outbreak in DR Congo ‘now a global emergency’

 

Sky.com

Some 1,650 people have died as government officials and aid agencies have struggled to contain the virus over the past year.

 

An Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo now constitutes a global public health emergency, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has said.

Some 1,650 people have lost their lives as government officials and international aid agencies have struggled to contain the virus over the past year, with fears it could become an outbreak within the central African country.

But despite the outbreak being classified as a global emergency, and WHO reporting a new case of the virus in neighbouring Uganda on Wednesday, no restrictions on travel or trade will be introduced.

There will also be no entry screening of passengers at ports or airports outside the immediate region

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the recommendations had been made by a committee of international experts, which stressed there was no need to introduce any restrictions outside Congo.

The ongoing outbreak is among the worst in history, and the battle to combat the virus has not been helped by Armed assailants in the region.  The deadliest outbreak ever was an unprecedented crisis in West Africa, which killed more than 11,000 people between 2013 and 2016.

hazsimCreate Life Saving Experiences with HAZSIM.  Click HERE for more information.

Ready for your free quote? Submit HERE.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

%d bloggers like this: