SURPRISE, AZ (3TV / CBS 5) – Eight firefighters have been hospitalized after an explosion occurred while they were working a battery fire at an APS power substation in Surprise.
The incident happened around 8 p.m. Friday near Deer Valley Road and Grand Avenue.
Surprise Fire Battalion Chief Julie Moore said the initial responding crew consisted of four firefighters from Surprise Fire Department and four firefighters from Peoria Fire Department.
When the four Hazmat crew members, of the Peoria Fire Department, tried to make entry to the substation, an explosion occurred– sending debris scattering across the area.
All eight firefighters were taken to area hospitals.
Two of the injured firefighters were flown to the Maricopa County Medical Center for treatment. A third firefighter arrived there by ground ambulance. A fourth injured firefighter was taken to a West Valley hospital.
One of the firefighters is reported to be in stable condition, two are in serious condition and a fourth is in critical condition.
The other four firefighters, of the Surprise Fire Department, are not believed to be injured, but are under evaluation.
Grand Avenue was closed briefly in both directions near Deer Valley Road while this incident unfolded. It has since re-opened.