HMN-Firefighters respond to a chemical spill at a Wokingham school on Monday. Bromine water was recovered into drums by the firefighters. (In your Area)
Three fire crews and a special hazardous substance team were called to a Wokingham school after a chemical spill.
Bromine water was spilt at he Emmbrook School, in Emmbrook Road, Wokingham, Berkshire, on Monday, February 19.
A spokeswoman from the Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “At 1.15pm Thames Valley Fire Control Service received reports of a chemical spill at a school on Emmbrook Road in Wokingham.
“Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Bracknell, Ascot and Whitley Wood fire stations and the Hazardous and Environmental Response Unit were sent to the scene.
“Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus contained a small spill into drums.
“The crew were on the scene for about two and a half hours.”
Bromine water is potentially dangerous as it can cause burns in liquid form while the vapours become toxic through inhalation.
The firefighters contained the incident effectively, and the school was open as usual on Tuesday, February 20, according to a reception staff member.
HazSim Pro training system has been used to train across the U.S since 2011. Trainers in HazMat and Confined Space realized that ‘tapping the student on the shoulder’ was NOT effective training. This system uses NO hazardous materials and although may not look exactly like your front line meter, shows the important data which the all students needs to learn to ‘react’ to. Click HERE for video of setting up the system. Click this link for customers in action using the HazSim to better train responders. Click HERE for a quote.