Four hospitalized after chlorine exposure



(Valley News Live)

GRAND FORKS, N.D. Four people are ok this morning after being exposed to chlorine gas in Grand Forks. Fire officials say a homeowner poured bleach into a plugged floor drain and it reacted with a drain cleaner causing the gas. Four people in the home were taken to the hospital to be checked out.

The full press release can be seen below:


Grand Forks, ND – At approximately 8:45pm, Friday February 22 the Grand Forks Fire Department Hazardous Materials Team responded to 805 Cherry Street for a reported chemical reaction involving bleach that caused respiratory distress to home occupants.
Hazmat personnel arrived on scene to discover that the home owner had poured bleach into a plugged floor drain in the basement. The bleach reacted with a sulfuric acid drain cleaner creating chlorine gas. The 4 occupants of the home were transported by paramedics to Altru Hospital for evaluation.
Hazmat personnel were able to clear floor drain of obstruction and flush with a large quantity of water before ventilating home of chlorine odor.
7 Grand Forks Fire Department personnel responded to the scene with assistance from the Grand Forks Police Department and Altru Hospital paramedics.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


%d bloggers like this: