Hazardous materials call turns out to be mix of household chemicals

HMN- According to the  Columbia Daily Tribune a smoking trash bag brought out the hazmat team.

Light smoke coming from a trash bag that garbage collectors found in the Benton-Stephens neighborhood Thursday turned out to be caused by a chemical reaction from mixing two household cleaners.

Columbia Fire Department crews were sent to the 1500 block of Windsor Street at 10:04 a.m. Thursday for a small, unknown hazardous materials spill after workers with the Solid Waste Department found the bag that had light smoke coming from it, according to a press release. Fire crews arrived five minutes later and the Hazardous Materials Truck arrived 15 minutes after that.

Wearing specialized hazmat suits, crews determined that the two chemicals, The Works toilet bowl cleaner and Bar Keepers Friend household cleaner, had been emptied into the bag and mixed, causing a reaction that produced the smoke, the release said.

After applying an absorbent, neutralizing agent, the liquid was safely disposed of, and no injuries were reported.

 

HazSim Pro training system has been used to train across the U.S since 2011. Trainers in HazMat and Confined Space realized that ‘tapping the student on the shoulder’ was NOT effective training. This system uses NO hazardous materials and although may not look exactly like your front line meter, shows the important data which the all students needs to learn to ‘react’ to. Click HERE for video of setting up the system. Click this link for customers in action using the HazSim to better train responders. Click HERE for a quote.

 

HazSim

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

%d bloggers like this: