One person who handled cash donations to a Grapevine church reported feeling ill after handling the money Sunday afternoon.
The Grapevine Fire Department was called about 3:45 p.m. to Fellowship Church in the 2400 block of North State Highway 121 where two people had been counting offering money in a room, fire Chief Darrell Brown said.
Inside a bag of money from a satellite campus was an envelope with more money, but the money felt “sticky” or “tacky,” Brown said.
The counters closed the bag, washed their hands and kept working, but later one began to feel flushed and unwell, he said.
The person was examined at a hospital and released.
The Northeast Fire Department Association hazmat team tested for five types of materials but none came back positive. The United States Postal Inspection Service will also test the bag, Brown said.
A hazmat team will clean the area where the money was counted.