A strange white crystalline substance found near a South Reno business Monday morning prompted a response from hazmat crews from three different local agencies, but proved to be non-hazardous silica salt.
The Reno Fire Department was called to the business, located at 500 Damonte Ranch Parkway, at about 9:18 a.m. Monday morning, according to Battalion Chief Mark Bohach. Concerned occupants of the business found the substance disposed near the edge of their property.
Hazmat crews from the city of Sparks and the Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District were also called in to help Reno Fire identify the substance.
Members of the hazmat teams, in full protective clothing, were able to sample the substance and later identified it as silica salt, a non-hazardous material unless ground up and inhaled.
Bohach said he did not know what the mixture is used for or why it was discarded there.
“We just errored on the side of caution because it was a suspicious substance,” he said.