HAZMAT team responds to mercury spill in Barrington
A hazardous-materials team responded to a mercury spill in Barrington on Sunday afternoon that was caused by a man who dropped a piece of equipment in his bedroom.
A Barrington fire captain told NBC 10 News that the equipment had mercury in it and that the spill at a home on Fountain Avenue was more than the typical size that would come from a thermometer.
The department did not elaborate on the kind of equipment but did say it was not suspicious.
The state Department of Environmental Management said it would take air quality measurements when the cleanup was finished.