Source: NBC PhiladelphiaÂ By David Chang
A Kutztown University building was evacuated during a hazmat situation Sunday afternoon.
Kutztown University Police received a report around 2:45 p.m. from custodians working on a basement floor of Deatrick Hall of fumes that were causing throat irritation and dryness. Police and firefighters responded to the scene and experienced similar symptoms.
Emergency officials and the Berks County Hazmat Team later arrived at the scene.
Most of Deatrick Hall’s 300 residents were attending Welcome Week activities on campus at the time, officials said. Around 12 residents inside Deatrick Hall were evacuated and the Hall was closed until it was deemed safe around 6 p.m.
In all, 12 students, three custodians, two police officers and two firefighters were treated for throat irritation and dryness by medics at the scene. Â Officials believe the symptoms were caused by a reaction to something in the trash. The hazmat team ventilated the basement of the building and the scene was cleared up by fresh air, officials said. They also removed and emptied dumpsters outside of Deatrick Hall as a precaution.
Kutztown University, located in Kutztown, Pennsylvania, is one of 14 schools comprising the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE).
Published at 7:23 PM EDT on Aug 23, 2015
Related: Odor Complaint