A YOUNG man invented a business in order to buy cyanide online and use the substance to take his own life, an inquest has heard.
Assistant coroner for Dorset Richard Middleton has written to government organisations over his concerns that Kristiyan Petrov Danailov, who was just 21, was able to have the lethal substance posted to his Bournemouth address.
Mr Danailov was found dead in the bedroom of his family home in Saffron Way, off Francis Avenue, on July 28 last year.
The first paramedic to attend spotted a tub containing an unusual, crystal-like substance. He then saw one of the ingredients listed on the tub read ‘cyanide’.
As a result, police and a specialist team from the fire service were called to oversee the removal of the body.
Despite the efforts of coroner’s officers to find a safe location for the post-mortem to take place, the examination was not carried out as cyanide releases a dangerous gas, hydrogen cyanide, when mixed with fluids.
However, pathologists were able to provide a cause of death as ‘consistent with cyanide poisoning’.
Mr Danailov’s mother Elena told the hearing her son had recently been diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome.
However, no formal diagnosis of depression was made, although her son had experienced a marked decline for more than two years before his death, isolating himself to his room and losing weight.
In 2017, Mr Danailov was arrested for attempting to buy a gun and cyanide online, the inquest heard.
Upon his return from the police station, he reassured his parents that he had no intention of taking his own life, and in the months before his death, his father Petar believed his mental health was improving.
The inquest also heard evidence from Detective Inspector Neil Wright of Dorset Police.
In a statement read aloud to the court by the coroner, DI Wright said Mr Danailov bought the substance from a Romford-based company on July 23.
The company’s website features a warning which reads: “Ingestion will cause death – only sold to customers with a trading history.”
Warnings as to the toxicity of the substance are also featured on the packaging itself, it was heard.
DI Wright said upon purchase of the cyanide, Mr Danailov had created a fictional business name in order to have it posted to his home address. Cyanide is used commercially in some fields.
Recording a verdict of suicide, Mr Middleton said he had concerns over how easily Mr Danailov had been able to buy the poison.
“What concerns the family, and in turn concerns me, is the apparent ease with which he placed his delivery,” Mr Middleton said.
“I do find there is a concern which has arisen during the course of proceedings that the circumstances which exist at this moment in time will create the risk of other deaths.”
Mr Middleton has written to DEFRA and the Health and Safety Executive, as well as the Chemical Businesses Association, in order to flag his worries over the issue, he said.
Samaritans can be contacted free of charge, 24 hours a day, on 116 123.