Mercury Spill Response

According to

ERWIN TOWNSHIP — Authorities have cleaned up what they called “a large mercury spill” Wednesday night in Gogebic County.

The Upper Peninsula Regional Hazardous Materials Team was called out to a home in Erwin Township.

A homeowner was cleaning the basement when a glass bottle of mercury was knocked over, breaking on the concrete floor.

The homeowner evacuated the house and called 911.

The hazardous materials team recovered approximately three ounces of mercury and several contaminated items.

The Western UP Health Department is also assisting the family.

Mercury is a liquid metal once thought to be safe, but it is highly toxic, even in small amounts.

Here is a podcast from which will help you with your next mercury response.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


%d bloggers like this: