According to the Fall River Fire Department, a 51-year-old man tried to melt dental fillings, thinking they were silver. Actually, they were mercury.
According to the Fall River’s district fire chief, the man’s grandfather was a dentist, and he got old fillings from him. Apparently, the man tried melting the fillings a couple of weeks ago, got sick and was hospitalized. On Saturday, the fire department became aware of the mercury in the apartment. Two people are now hospitalized and the entire apartment building is uninhabitable.
According to the World Health Organization: “Elemental and methylmercury are toxic to the central and peripheral nervous systems. The inhalation of mercury vapour can produce harmful effects on the nervous, digestive and immune systems, lungs and kidneys, and may be fatal. The inorganic salts of mercury are corrosive to the skin, eyes and gastrointestinal tract, and may induce kidney toxicity if ingested.”
Create Life Saving Experiences with HAZSIM. Click HERE for more information.
Ready for your free quote? Submit HERE.