HMN-The Reading Eagle reports that the equipment mixes liquid propane and vapors.
BERN TOWNSHIP, PA —
Numerous fire companies responded to a Bern Township manufacturing plant late Sunday after an exterior piece of equipment that mixes propane caught on fire.
The tank was emitting gas that was aflame when crews arrived shortly after 11:30 p.m. at Eagle Metals, 1243 Old Bernville Road, said Capt. Joe Stoudt of Greenfields Fire Company.
Fire commanders immediately called for reinforcements from area fire companies because the equipment was about 30 feet from the building and next to a hydrogen gas tank.
“We went to the tanker task force basically as a ‘just in case,’ ” said Stoudt, noting that there were no nearby hydrants.
Eagle Metals, a privately owned company, manufactures custom, light-gauge copper and nickel-based alloys and stainless steel.
The equipment was actually a propane mixer, company officials said. Liquid propane is mixed with propane gas to feed the annealing furnace, which heats material to make it softer and more workable.
Firefighters used hoses to spray the propane mixer and the nearby hydrogen tank to cool them until the flow of propane gas stopped.
The flames did not spread to the structure. The situation was declared under control after about 21/2 hours.
Create Life Saving Experiences with HAZSIM. Click HERE for more information.
Ready for your free quote? Submit HERE.