South Shore Plaza evacuated after chemical spill

Chemical

HMN-Employees at a Chipotle restaurant spilled a cleaning solution, and attempted to clean the spill with a different solution, causing a chemical reaction.  One employee was taken to the hospital for minor burns. (CBS)

BRAINTREE (CBS) – Part of the South Shore Plaza in Braintree was evacuated after a chemical spill late Friday afternoon. The incident happened at the Chipotle restaurant inside the mall.

According to fire officials, workers spilled a cleaning product while they were moving it from one area to another.

“They dropped a jug of cleaning solution,” Deputy Fire Chief Joseph Barker said. “Tried to clean it up with another product. It was a chemical reaction.”

Part of the South Shore Plaza in Braintree was evacuated after a chemical spill (WBZ-TV)

One Chipotle worker was taken to the hospital with a minor burn and eight others were taken as a precaution. The irritation the workers experienced was similar to pepper spray, according to Barker.

“They tried to clean it up making a bad situation worse,” Barker said.

Four firefighters were decontaminated at the scene.

The businesses directly above and to the sides of the Chipotle restaurant were evacuated as a precaution. The area was deemed safe shortly before 6:00 p.m.

 

Sign up for the Hazmatnation mailing list!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

%d bloggers like this: