Tag Archives: h2s

“Bubbling liquid” exposure lands one worker in hospital

HMN-One worker was hospitalized after he came across a hole in the ground filled with a bubbling liquid.  KRIS reports that when HAZMAT located the hole, H2S readings were confirmed. Emergency crews are in the area of Sedwick Road, and Stillwell Lane, near Clarkwood Road in Annaville, for an H2S chemical leak after a worker in the area was hospitalized ...

Read More »

Homes evacuated after H2S leak

H2s

HMN-6 homes in Ontario have been evacuated after an H2S leak.  It is currently unclear what the source of the leak is according to CBC News. A flammable, hazardous chemical spill discovered on Friday evening in Norfolk County, Ont. — some 30 kilometres west of Port Dover — has prompted police to close a stretch of roadway and issue an ...

Read More »

1 person dead after gas leak at Montgomery home – Hydrogen Sulfide

WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news. According to WSFA.com: MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) – A death investigation has been opened after one person died in a gas leak at a Montgomery home, according to the Montgomery Police Department. First responders were called to a residence in the 100 block of East Fairview Avenue around 11 a.m. Friday on reports of a suspected gas ...

Read More »

Wyoming tank battery fire out after 11 hours

  HMN-A Wyoming tank battery went ablaze late Monday night.  Firefighters spent 11 hours battling the flames, attempting to bring them under control.  According to K2Radio, operations personnel were able to shut down equipment to help bring the situation to a hault. Firefighters spent 11 hours Monday night and early Tuesday battling a blaze that broke out near Bairoil, destroying ...

Read More »

Newtonville, Mass. responders pinpoint Hydrogen Sulfide leak in ATM batteries

HMN- Responders were called to the Bank of America in Newtonville Thursday to investigate what was reported as a “Sulfuric” odor. HAZMAT crews were able to name the batteries inside the ATM as the origin, after Hydrogen Sulfide levels were detected in the building. WickedLocal gave us more details. The Bank of America building in Newtonville was evacuated Thursday morning ...

Read More »

Municipal H2S incident leaves two brothers dead

  HMN-Earlier this week we discussed industrial H2S response, however this threat is present in the municipal world as well.  One common source of H2S, is sewer systems.  Independent.ie brings us details from June 2015, where two brothers were killed after an H2S exposure in a confined space. TWO brothers overcome by fumes while working in an underground sewer died of ...

Read More »

Industrial fire familiarization: Hydrogen Sulfide

Industrial fire familiarization: Hydrogen Sulfide       HMN-Hydrogen sulfide, or H2S, is a common threat in our industrial environment. Most are taught about the rotten egg smell, and ability to dull the olfactory sense in large doses, but do we really understand it’s presence in our processes? What exactly is it? H2S is a colorless, flammable, extremely hazardous gas ...

Read More »

Medical examiner confirms suspected cause of deaths in Florida Turnpike Deaths – H2S

Florida Turnpike Deaths – H2S Suspected   According to WESH.com (most recent Florida Turnpike Deaths News in link): OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. —It’s been four months since first responders walked up to a 2006 Porsche Cayenne involved in what looked like a single-car fender bender along Florida’s Turnpike in Osceola County. Latifa Lincoln, 45, and her 3-year-old daughter, Maksmilla Lincoln, were found ...

Read More »

1 dead, 5 injured in Austin TX hazmat situation – Possible Chem suicide

Breaking From KVUE AUSTIN – Authorities said one person has died in a hazmat situation at a West Campus apartment building, Austin Fire Department and Austin-Travis County EMS said. AFD and EMS initially responded to 21 Pearl for a cardiac arrest call. A man in his 20s died at the scene and five others required medical attention. Two of those ...

Read More »

Danger underestimated in manure pits

Below is an excellent article on the dangers of methane asphyxiation. According to Colleen Kottke of www.wisfarmer.com It’s a tragic tale that has become all too common. A farm worker enters a manure pit to perform a simple maintenance task; probably one he’s done many times before. Only this time he is overcome by the deadly gases released during composition of ...

Read More »