Tag Archives: incident

8 people taken to hospitals after a HazMat incident at a Market Basket

  Boston.Com  Emergency personnel responded to the Market Basket in Rowley on Thursday afternoon for a report of an unknown gas leak, police and fire officials said in a release, referring to the situation as a “Tier 1 Hazmat incident.” The call came in at about 3 p.m., and the entire strip mall where the supermarket is located on Newburyport ...

Read More »

Man dies after chemical incident in home (UK)

chemical death

Read More »

CSX Safety Lapses to blame for 2018 fatal Amtrak collision in South Carolina

  Bloomburg     CSX’s lax approach to safety caused a fatal collision between a passenger train and one of the company’s parked freight trains last year, U.S. accident investigators concluded Tuesday. The National Transportation Safety Board cited what it called multiple layers of failure at CSX that led a conductor to leave a switch in the wrong position, sending an ...

Read More »

CS used in London Underground incident, Police searching for 2 male subjects of interest

Sky News      Police are looking for two men after gas was released on a Tube train in London. People were treated at the scene for coughing and lack of breath, police said. Their symptoms suggest the gas is CS gas. There is no further concern for their health. The incident happened at Oxford Circus. British Transport Police received reports of ...

Read More »

1 hospitalized, 7 treated on scene of industrial hazmat incident

The Journal News      One person was transported to an area hospital, according to Fairfield Fire Chief Don Bennett. Seven others were treated at the scene that were showing signs of respiratory distress. A chemical company employee was filling a tank with a foaming acid when there was a spill, creating a fume or respiratory irritant. “There is one ...

Read More »

Haz-Mat & MCI event at University of Maryland’s Chemical and Nuclear Engineering Building After Chemical Reaction, Fire results in 17 people transported

Fox5     COLLEGE PARK, Md. (FOX 5 DC) – Students, staff, and emergency personnel were transported from the scene of a fire at the University of Maryland’s Chemical and Nuclear Engineering Building as a precaution on Wednesday. According to the Prince George’s County fire department, four students, one contractor, one employee, eight Prince George’s County firefighters, two college police officers, ...

Read More »

Evacuation order issued for those living within a half mile radius of zinc plant fire in Mooresboro

  Fox Carolina 21      MOORESBORO, NC (FOX Carolina) – Early Monday morning officials issued an evacuation warning for residents within a half mile radius of the American Zinc Products Plant in Mooresboro. Deputies with the sheriff’s office are going door to door to get citizens evacuated after a fire at the plant has become hazardous, releasing sulfuric acid into ...

Read More »

Four transported after reported chlorine leak at chemical plant

WBRZ     GEISMAR – The Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office has confirmed reports of a chlorine leak at an Ascension Parish plant early Monday morning. At approximately 5 a.m., the sheriff’s office received a call regarding the smell of chlorine coming from the area of Highway 30 near LA 73 in Geismar. A preliminary investigation revealed the leak originated from Westlake ...

Read More »

CNU fraternity house still off-limits 11 days after hazmat situation

Wavy.com     NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Frustrated students at Christopher Newport University are trying to get their items back from where they lived. 11 days ago, hazmat crews entered their fraternity and removed dangerous chemicals. The area remains off-limits. Benjamin Williams is one of the nine fraternity brothers who were displaced, and he can’t get his stuff. “My desktop computer, I ...

Read More »

Mercury From Teeth Fillings Leads To Hazmat Response

CBS4 Boston    According to the Fall River Fire Department, a 51-year-old man tried to melt dental fillings, thinking they were silver. Actually, they were mercury. According to the Fall River’s district fire chief, the man’s grandfather was a dentist, and he got old fillings from him. Apparently, the man tried melting the fillings a couple of weeks ago, got ...

Read More »