Technicians respond to water treatment facility fire

Chemical suicide

 

HMN-Hazmat Technicians were requested to respond to a water treatment facility fire in Elgin, IL.  The fire is believed to have started when an electrical motor failed. (Chicago Tribune)

A fire Friday night in a building with large quantities of chemicals at the city of Elgin’s water treatment facility was likely caused by an electrical motor failure, Elgin fire officials said.

The fire happened around 9 p.m. in a building at 375 W. River Road and was upgraded to include hazardous materials technicians from Elgin and South Elgin fire departments, according to an Elgin fire department news release. Firefighters entered the building and discovered the fire was extinguished by an automatic sprinkler system, the release stated. There was minimal chemical involvement, it stated.

Two employees were able to evacuate, the release stated. No injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported, according to the release. There was no impact to the city’s water treatment operations or to the public, fire officials said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

%d bloggers like this: