One injured in gas leak at Littleton High School pool

Originally published on Centennialcitizen

Muriatic acid, chlorine mixed when material dripped from pipe.

HMN - One injured in gas leak at Littleton High School pool

One person was injured by a chlorine gas leak at the Littleton High School swimming pool on Sept. 10, according to South Metro Fire Rescue.

Firefighters responded to a call for an “odor of chlorine” from the pool’s control room area shortly before 8 p.m. on Sept. 10, said South Metro Fire spokesperson Connor Christian. A custodial crew was in the building at the time.

Responding crews found a person inside the pool area who had difficulty breathing, Christian said. They were transported to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, though no update on their condition was immediately available.

South Metro’s hazardous materials team shut down the building’s HVAC system and ventilated the pool area, Christian said.

Crews later determined the gas leak was a mixture of muriatic acid and chlorine that dripped from a pipe in the control area.

Littleton Public Schools did not respond to requests for comment on Sept. 11.

Share This:

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on reddit
Reddit
More News