Terror in New York: Man wearing ‘tactical gear’ walks into hospital carrying explosives

HMN - Terror in New York_ Man wearing ‘tactical gear’ walks into hospital carrying explosives

Stony Brook, New York – Police arrested a 33-year-old male suspect whom they say was adorned in tactical gear while entering a New York hospital with explosives.

The incident was said to have initially caused a brief evacuation from the hospital on June 9th.

Robert Roden was arrested under both weapons and drug charges after allegedly entering Stony Brook University Hospital on June 9th with a backpack containing three explosives and wearing a vest containing several magazines of ammunition.

Apparently an off-duty police officer had noticed the strange gear that Roden was allegedly wearing at the time, and alerted officers on the campus about the unusual get-up the suspect was adorning.

When police made contact with Roden, officers reportedly discovered what was described as a “suspicious package” within his backpack and placed him into custody.

Upon detainment, police were said to have not only uncovered three grenade-sized explosives, but also handcuffs, a hatchet, and a BB gun.

The day following Roden’s arrest, investigators searched the home of the suspect and uncovered more explosive devices – as well as additional components used to create even more. According to laboratory testing conducted by the FBI, the explosives could have caused substantial damage if used.

What’s most curious about the matter is that investigators have not determined whether Roden intended to utilize the explosives at the hospital in question.

Thus far, the investigation hasn’t linked Roden to any radical groups, and state that the suspect was simply dropped off at the hospital with another individual. What is known is that Roden has a pending criminal case related to menacing from December 2019.

As it stands, Roden has been officially charged with weapons possession, criminal contempt and drug possession. Suffolk County Police Department Chief of Detectives Gerard Gigante stated that additional charges may be filed as the investigation continues.

In other investigations, police in Jacksonville, Florida are seeking out a suspect who slashed an officer’s throat, reportedly. New images of the suspect have been released. 

Police are asking for help in identifying a man who they say attacked an officer in downtown Jacksonville on May 30 .

They’ve released photos and video of the man who they say will at least face a charge of aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer. 

Here’s the back story. 

The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office said officers were in the Bay Street area of downtown the afternoon of the attack, which happened after peaceful demonstrations against the death of George Floyd.

Hours after, some of the groups hanging out began to “protest in a violent manner” – aka riot.

One of the JSO officers was trying to manage the crowd.

That’s when officers say a man approached him from behind and hit him in the head and neck repeatedly. 

While hitting him, something in his hand sliced the officer down the right side of his neck.  He was rushed to the hospital.

The suspect seen in the pictures is wearing glasses and a blue face mask, a dark shirt with orange or red print, blue jeans and dark shoes. 

Police are asking anyone with information about who he is to contact JSO at 904-630-0500 or email at JSOCrimeTips@jaxsheriff.org.

If you’d prefer to remain anonymous and receive a possible reward up to $3,000 contact Crime Stoppers at 1-866-845-TIPS.

Another investigation in Philadelphia is also ongoing. 

Just before midnight Tuesday night, a massive shooting took place in the courtyard of the Spring Garden Homes apartment complex on the 600 block of Perth Place.

Police have said that around 50 shots were fired in the area, which killed one and injured six. Two of those six were critically injured, including a 22-year-old man, as well as a 24-year-old man who was shot 10 times.

All victims were males in their 20’s, with the exception of one female in her 20’s and one man in his late 50’s.

The deceased man was found around 2am in a nearby courtyard in the 600 block of 8th Street, shot in the face.

Police also discovered what they described as a “stack of cash” at the scene.

Philadelphia Police Chief  Insp. Scott Small said:

“We know over 45 shots were fired from a semi-automatic weapon. We found multiple projectiles. We found four vehicles struck by gunfire. One vehicle still had its engine running and multiple strike marks. The shell casings, the strike marks, the vehicles, are all in the courtyard of the Spring Garden Homes. We also found a large amount of cash in the courtyard.”

Apparently dice and guns were also found at the scene.

A local news source said they found shell casings near by at 8th and Wallace Streets, but police told them those were attributed to a shooting a week ago.

At this time, there is no suspect information. Detectives will be searching for available surveillance footage in the area.

Residents have grown sick of all the violence in the area. One neighbor recounted hearing the gunshots: